Peter Voulkos (b. 1924, Bozeman, Montana, d. 2002, Bowling Green, OH) was a ceramic sculptor who broke the divide between ceramic as a craft and that of fine arts. After serving in the Army during the World War II, Voulkos studied painting and printmaking at Montana State College, Bozeman, MT, and received his M.F.A. from the California College of the Arts and Crafts, Oakland, CA. In 1954, he moved to Los Angeles where he founded the ceramics department at Otis College of Art and Design, then the Los Angeles County Art Institute. His work resides in numerous public collections including: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, CA; the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY; the Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY; the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA; the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC; the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands; the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, UK; The Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN; and the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, NY. Recently, his early work was the subject of a solo exhibition at the Museum of Arts and Design, New York, NY.